Early this morning (January 4, 2021), at approximately 7:15 am, several units were dispatched to the 1800 block of Club House Dr. for a reported roof fire. Battalion chief Flummer arrived first on the scene, reporting a working fire coming from one of the multistory chimneys. Engine 721’s crew arrived shortly after and confirmed that the structure was no longer occupied. Firefighters made entry in the affected structure, finding light smoke and a smoldering fire in the fireplace, and quickly attempted to extinguish the blaze. Additional crewmembers utilized the aerial master stream on Ladder 721 to battle the blaze from an elevated standpoint. Shortly after the fire was called under control, crews utilized the TIC (Thermal Imaging Camera), checking for any fire extensions throughout the home. Unfortunately, a neighboring unit did sustain some flooding and fire damage inside the living area.
After speaking with the owner/occupant, it was determined that the cause of this fire originated in the home’s chimney area. BCFD would like to remind you that a professional should check the chimney annually if you have a fireplace in your home. When your chimney is not cleaned for a long time, a substance called creosote keeps building up in the flue during fireplace use. This creosote is highly flammable and can lead to a dangerous chimney fire (an uncontrolled 2000 degree fire burning inside the chimney).
Chimney Safety Tips:
- Get an annual chimney inspection.
- Free and Clear. Make sure that the top of the chimney is free and clear.
- Cap it.
- Keep it clear.
- Screens or doors.
- Smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors
If you have additional questions regarding fireplace/chimney safety, please call our Community Risk Reduction Division at 928-758-3971.