City of Kingman to Update Codes
–Comments and Questions can be Submitted until October 31, 2020-
KINGMAN, Ariz. – The City of Kingman Community Development Division has been working with Lisa Wise consulting for the past year to update the City of Kingman Zoning Code and expand the Downtown Historic Overlay District. The anticipated date of project completion is December 2020 or January 2021 and the city encourages public participation and input.
The City of Kingman Zoning Code was initially adopted June 14, 1971. Since then, there has not been a comprehensive review or update of the code. The city is also considering expansion of the Downtown Historic Overlay District as part of the Zoning Code update; however, this portion of the initiative will not be ready for public comment until later in 2021. The current Downtown Historic Overlay District was added to the Zoning Code in 1986, and encompasses a very small area, about 3 blocks in length, and should be expanded to include other valuable historic buildings and properties that exist downtown.
The City Council approved this initiative, which will benefit our customers by:
- Creating a code that is effective and user-friendly
- Creating a code that is organized and logical with clear and consistent language
- Adding graphics, charts and other user-friendly features for ease of understanding intent
- Adding modern planning practices such as form-based codes and transect zoning that integrate well with the updated code and overlay districts
- Amending the sign code to comply with the 2015 Supreme Court ruling on the Reed versus Town of Gilbert case regarding content-neutral regulations
- Updating and expanding the Downtown Historic Overlay District
Public education and outreach are vital components of this initiative, and there are several ways you can get involved. This link (https://www.cityofkingman.gov/government/departments-i-z/planning-economic-development/planning-and-zoning/zoning-ordinance-update) will take you to the draft document that can be reviewed, and public comment can be submitted by:
- Emailing your comments to [email protected]
- Mailing your comments to City of Kingman Community Development, 310 N. Fourth Street Kingman, AZ 86401
- Calling the Community Development Department with questions or comments at (928) 753-8130
Due to the COVID-19 Pandemic there will NOT be any in-person meetings regarding the code update. There will be at least two virtual meetings of the Planning & Zoning Commission in which the proposed changes and public comments will be discussed. The public and stakeholders will have an opportunity to watch the meetings via Channel 4 or www.youtube.com/cityofkingman All meetings will be posted on the city’s website.