Mayor Miles Recall Moves Forward
KINGMAN, Ariz. – On March 2, 2021, the Mohave County Recorder’s Office certified the signatures on the recall petitions against Mayor Jen Miles, which contains 1,512 valid signatures. Pursuant to A.R.S. § 19-208.03, Kingman City Clerk Annie Meredith certified the filing March 4, 2021. This number of signatures equals or exceeds the minimum number required by the Arizona State Constitution and no more signatures need to be checked. The recall shall be placed on the ballot in the manner provided by law:
- The Kingman City Council has until Friday, March 26, 2021 to call the election.
- Any elector has ten calendar days from the date of official filing by the City Clerk to commence an action in Superior Court challenging the signatures certified by the County Recorder.
- Nomination petitions for potential candidates will be accepted between May 5, 2021 and June 4, 2021.
- Statement of Interest for write-in candidates will be accepted until June 24, 2021.
- The election will be held on the next consolidated date which is August 3, 2021.
On September 14, 2020, Mr. James Coffman applied for a recall request for Kingman Mayor Jen Miles. On Monday, January 11, 2021, recall petitions were submitted regarding the application, “2020REC001- Mayor Miles.”
The initial receipt provided by Mr. Coffman indicated that he submitted 148 petition sheets with 2,367 unverified signatures. After further review, it was determined that the actual number of submitted petitions was 168 sheets with 2,367 unverified signatures; 1384 is the number of verified signatures required to authorize this recall election.
Upon completion of the initial review per A.R.S. § 19-121.01(A), the Kingman City Clerk’s office has transmitted the petitions to the Mohave County Recorder Kristi Blair’s office for verification of 164 petition sheets with 2,287 unverified signatures. The recorder’s office has 60 days to verify signatures Once the petition sheets are returned to the Kingman City Clerk’s office with the results of sufficient signatures, the final determination will be made whether to proceed with the official filing of the recall.
For questions regarding the Kingman City Clerk’s process, please call (928) 753-8102. For questions regarding the Mohave County Recorder’s process, please call (928) 753-0701.