Permissible Fireworks Spark Fire
At approximately 4:00 P.M. this afternoon (07/01/2021), our crews were dispatched to the Motel 6 located at 1081 Hwy. 95 for a reported commercial structure fire. Upon arrival, Engine 721 reported a small shed on fire at the north end of the structure. Fire crews were able to quickly extinguish the fire, keeping it from spreading to the hotel. Fire investigators responded to the scene finding an array of permissible fireworks covering the immediate area.
We would like to remind citizens that all fireworks have the potential to ignite a fire. With the extremely dry vegetation around our city, we ask that you please leave fireworks to the professionals. A simple sparkler burns at 1200 degrees, which is the same temperature that wildland fires burn. The National Fire Protection Association advised that children ages 10-14 have the highest rate of firework injuries and sparklers account for roughly one quarter of emergency room fireworks injuries. Instead of passing out sparklers to your loved ones this year, try giving your little ones glow sticks as a safer alternative.