LAUGHLIN — Tickets are now on sale for the 21st Annual Community Achievement Awards slated for Saturday, Oct. 27 inside the Aquarius Casino Resort.
The black-tie gala is held each year to recognize individuals and businesses that make an impact in the Colorado River region. Tickets are $75 each and can be purchased by calling the Laughlin Chamber of Commerce at 702-298-2214 or stopping by the chamber office at 1585 Casino Drive in Laughlin between 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Nominees for this year are:
- Citizen of the Year: Mehdi Azarmi, Joyce Moreno, Tyler Carlson and Kari Hoffman.
- Connie Davis Youth Citizen of the Year: AFJROTC Corps Commander/Civil Air Patrol Cadet Commander Abigail Brown, Mohave High; Jason Zenefski, Laughlin Jr./Sr. High; Amy Cervantes, River Valley High; and Stormy Venes, Mohave Accelerated Learning Center
- Educator of the Year: Ava Smith, Desert Valley Elementary; Aga Cook, Camp Mohave Elementary; Wendi Lytle, Laughlin Jr./Sr. High; and Jennifer Drescher, Bennett Elementary.
- Lloyd Shires Tourism Award: Trina Ewing, Edgewater & Colorado Belle Hotel Casino Resorts; Cherie Westbrook, Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority; Matthew Young, Laughlin Tours, LLC; and Matt Laughlin, Don Laughlin’s Riverside Resort & Casino.
- Young Wonder: Mariyah Martinez, Mohave Accelerated Learning Center; Daniel Montoya Allen, Laughlin Jr./Sr. High; Aaron Sessions, Mohave Accelerated Learning Center; and Madelynn MacDonald, Mohave High.
- Public Service: Raymond Proa, Fort Mohave Mesa Fire Department; Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department, Laughlin Substation; Jeffrey Viles, Bullhead City Police Department; Lois Wakimoto, Mohave County Supervisor; and Chris Whitton, Nevada Gaming Control Board.
- Humanitarian of the Year: Cheryl DeBatt; Kathleen Hoss; Carol Bigos-Wheeler; and Chaz Martinez.
- Entrepreneur of the Year: Jessica Tary, J & J Mystery Events; Joe Keunen, Eagle Motorcycles; Anita Bray, Javalina’s Coffee Express; and Trevor & Brea Chiodini, Laughlin River Tours.
- Communications: Murphy Broadcasting; Chad Graham, TV2KLBC; Lorrae Viles, Bullhead City Fire Department; and Gerald White, Our Town Magazine.
- Green Business of the Year: Academy of Building Industries High School and the Boys & Girls Club Thrift Store.
- Small Business of the Year: 111 Auto, LLC; Totally Awesome Printing by Colorado River Tee’s LLC; Baron Services; and KEO, LLC.
- Large Business of the Year: Edgewater & Colorado Belle Hotel Casino Resorts; Dot Foods Inc.; and Findlay Chevrolet Buick GMC.
- Community/Social Service Organization of the Year: Volunteers In Partnership (VIPS); Bullhead City Firefighters Holiday Toy Drive; The Guardian Foundation; and Mohave County Search and Rescue, Bullhead City Unit.
The judging panel for 2018 is headed by the 2017 Citizen of the Year, Michael Conner. Michael is the Executive Director of the River Fund Inc. He is a firm believer in giving back to our community and assisting in any way he can. His assistant is Kim Miles, Bullhead City Fire Department EMT & CAA Public Service Award winner 2017.
Judges from the Nevada side are: Steven Willett (Riverside Resort Director of Human Resources, Mohave County Airport Authority Board of Directors and Secretary, River Fund Inc. Board of Directors, & Laughlin Township Justice Pro-Tempore); Chuck Coplan (Charles G. Coplan Jr., CPA and Laughlin Chamber of Commerce Board Member); LuzMa Ramirez (Southern Nevada Transit Coalition (Silver Rider) H.R. Director); Tim Blessing (Resort Executive and Resident) and Terry Tinnell (Richard Springston American Legion Post 60 Commander; while Arizona judges include: Whitney Crow (Mohave Valley Elementary School District Superintendent); Rocky Vecera (Dot Foods General Manager); Nancy Novak (Laughlin Entertainer Product Manager); Karole Finkelstein (Colorado River Historical Society & Museum, Mohave Area Partnership Promoting Educated Decisions, Colorado River Greenway Heritage Trails, Colorado River Women’s Council, Leadership Grad 2015 and Ninos De Baja Orphanage); and Jack Hakim, (Retired Bullhead City Councilman, Former Vice-Mayor/Mayor, Former Chairman & Commissioner of Bullhead City Parks and Recreation).