LAKE HAVASU CITY–The Lake Havasu City Fire Department is offering parents and caregivers the opportunity to have their child’s car seat inspected at a Safety Seat Checkup Saturday, April 21, from 9:00 a.m. to Noon at the LHCFD Station #2, 2065 Kiowa Boulevard North.
Parents must have the child present to have car seat inspected.
Technicians will be on-hand to check car seats for proper installation and to assist with the installation of your child’s car seat. Participants should bring their vehicle, car seat, and car seat manual.
For now, the LHCFD offers these tips to help keep your child properly safe while in the car:
- Always read vehicle/car seat manual for correct installation information.
- Make sure you use the top tether strap; the top tethers reduce the distance your child’s head travels in a crash and the risk of injury.
- Make sure your child’s weight and height are within the limits of the car seat.
- Children who exceed the limits of the car seat harness are safest in a booster until the adult seat belts fit correctly.
- Install the car seat in the back.
- Do not buy a used car seat unless you can verify 1) it has not been in a crash; 2) the age of the seat; 3) it has not been recalled.
- Infants & toddlers need to ride in a rear-facing car seat as long as possible.
- Install your car seat snugly enough so it moves less than one inch to the sides and toward the front of the vehicle.
- When your child outgrows the rear-facing seat, he/she should ride in a forward-facing convertible or combination seat with a harness as long as possible.
- Attend a car seat checkup to be sure the seat is installed correctly and your child is safely secured.
- Make sure you buckle up so your kids will too!
For more information contact, Gina Gutierrez, Public Education Specialist, at [email protected] or 928-855-3609.